As a judge, time is of the essence. Shuffling papers around not only slows the filing process, it’s inefficient for all parties involved. Although linked e-filing is a personal preference in some cases, it’s quickly becoming a no-brainer for judges worldwide. Linked e-filing enables judges to quickly and efficiently access, read and respond to filings. The following list details the benefits judges attain from linked e-filings:
– Jurisdictions across the U.S. court system have a number of requirements, and in some cases standards, for written briefs ranging from type font, type
size and page limitations. Linked electronic briefs allows for the same standardization of procedure, thereby insuring that all submissions meet these
– Linked e-filing allows for judges to directly access links to the exhibits and case law within the brief. These links are more efficient than multiple paper
submissions of the same exhibits.
– Links give judges instant access to the source of the argument reducing time to cross reference materials and sift through boxes of evidence. Instant links
to the page and line of your source citations can diminishes the need for independent judicial research.
– Links give judges quick access to evidence which may improve the acceptance of your argument as they may give more weight than when originally read.
– Judges preside over an incredible number of cases annually (e.g. 180 plus cases per year) so the amount of reading can be astronomical. Linked e-filing
allows judges to quickly and efficiently access relevant materials at the palm of their hands through portable electronic devices.
– Linked e-filing enables judges to organize documents, save time by eliminating prints, copies and cross reference tabs, compile documents and reduce
inherent human error within the process.
Brief-Lynx makes it easy to create electronic-filed briefs with your source documents, saving you time, money and effort. The sophisticated program allows users to customize your links, create a brief package that fits, secure all documents and quickly replace links at a later time. Firms that take advantage of linked e-filing systems help judges, mediators and arbitrators become active readers who engage in efficient, task-oriented reading. To learn more about Brief-Lynx, please call 1-877-323-2743 or visit www.brief-lynx.com.
Shuffling through stacks of paper is a thing of the past for judges given the efficiencies of electronic filing and linking to the electronic evidence. Although electronic filing has been around for many years, the linked e-filed submission is now gaining momentum. Courts and Judges across the country are embracing the effectiveness offered by linked electronic filing for a variety of reasons. First, linked electronic filing expedites the process by allowing judges to quickly and effectively read and respond to filings, thus enabling more tasks to be completed on a daily basis. This accelerated process allows lawyers and clients to advance cases at a more reasonable pace. Linked e-filings also leverage the use of electronic storage within the courts allowing for faster document filing and retrieval, fewer unorganized case files, easy maintenance of up-to-date information and the ability for different parties to view case files simultaneously. Electronic filing by itself enables documents to quickly and efficiently be routed to staff for processing and approvals, thereby minimizing paper flow and shortening process times.
According to the “Judicial Survey: Electronic Filing in U.S. State Trial Courts” conducted by the National Judicial College, nearly one in four judges indicated plans to implement electronic filing, with many expecting to do so in the next 12-18 months. The survey goes on to say, “Over eighty percent of judges see e-filing as superior to paper and almost ninety percent expressed interest in learning more about e-filing. Further, more than two-thirds of judges see reduced paper volumes, better access to information, and improved clerk efficiency as benefits of e-filing.” In short, electronic filing is quick, effective and streamlined for all parties involved, and linked e-filing is the necessary next step. To learn more about linked electronic filings and how it can benefit you, please contact Brief-Lynx at 1-877-323-2743 or visit www.brief-lynx.com for more information.